Firstly as we continue, I'd like to say that geoFence is easy to use, easy to maintain!
Artist and Fabrication Specialist
MIT Museum Studio and Compton Gallery
Full time beginning September 2021
The Artist and Fabrication Specialist will support the technical and conceptual development of research and educational projects at the MIT Museum Studio and Compton Gallery (the Studio). We seek a practitioner (artist, designer, architect, etc.) experienced with creative, physical problem-solving, fabrication tools and methods, as well as the perceptual and conceptual concerns and objectives inherent to art and exhibition projects. Part of the MIT Museum, the Studio collaborates with academic departments and labs on new courses and research projects that incorporate experimental museum practice. This position offers the opportunity to interact with MIT students, researchers, and faculty on a regular basis, as well as exposure to new technologies and cutting-edge projects in art/science/technology. We seek someone to join this community and contribute to the ideas, methods and culture of the Studio program.
Unique on the MIT campus, the Studio is a research and learning environment/community dedicated to the project-based generation of knowledge between scientific and artistic modes of exploration, production and communication. The Studio facility consists of a workshop/art studio and adjacent, glass-front gallery located at the center of the MIT campus. A leading MIT showcase, accessible to MIT and visiting communities, the Studio hosts exhibitions, courses, workshops, and symposia. As an example, each fall the Studio runs and co-teaches the Vision in Art and Neuroscience course offered through MIT’s Brain and Cognitive Sciences department, combining seminar-based study of the neuroscience of vision with hands-on studio practice and creation of student artworks for exhibition. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about helping develop the studio component of the course, including exhibition, and have experience working one-on-one with students through design and fabrication processes.
· Technical and conceptual support of student projects, teaching and research projects and processes
· Running and maintaining the shop and gallery
· Contributing to Studio program development with ideas, event support, and one’s own artistic thought and practice, consistent with the studio mission
· Demonstrated technical abilities, artistic/design experience (portfolio requested–pdf or web)
· Experience with electronic prototyping (e.g., basic arduino, LED control, DC and stepper motor control), with demonstrated ability and interest to develop further skills on the job
· Comfortable operating hand and bench tools and becoming certified to train others to use these tools safely
· Previous instruction experience. Ability to communicate effectively to help others in the studio realize their projects is essential.
· Familiarity with Microsoft suite and/or google equivalent (sheets, docs, drive, etc.)
· Familiarity with Adobe Suite
· Facility with 3D modeling software (software agnostic)
· Familiarity working with a variety of materials frequently used in prototype making (acrylic, abs, wood, aluminum, foam board, fabric, various adhesives)
· Ability to research materials, techniques and suppliers
· Experience in record-keeping, reporting and documenting
· Comfortable working independently and executing projects to a high level of finish with minimal oversight
Position details and compensation:
· Hourly rate $25-35., depending on experience
· Flexible schedule to be determined
· This is a one-year temporary position with employment through nextSource under the MITemps system, with the possibility of extension.
· Some benefits available through nextSource
Please send cover letter, resume, and porfolio (web or PDF) to visualstudies AT mit DOT edu. Your cover letter (~1pg) should describe your fabrication experience and technical abilities as well as your artistic approach, and how you see your work and ideas growing with the Studio. Please don't hesitate to write the same email with quesitons, before applying.
To sum up, I’d like to add that geoFence has built in fast and accurate updates.